Saturday, September 18, 2010

To quit or not to quit, that is the question.

Ok, here's the thing. My parents made me take piano lessons from the time I was 8 until I was almost 18. I like to play, but hate to practice. Surprise - the Kid is the exact same way. She took some lessons for 2 years at a foofy music school near NGFX's house but did not learn to play a note. So last year I signed her up with a very nice lady near my house where she learned the names of the notes and how to play them. But she has wanted to quit since June last year. I signed her up again but she is miserable. And not fake miserable, really unhappy. And I know how she feels. And I want to let her quit. I'm not a fan of quitting but in this case - where the teacher has a waiting list and where some other student would practice 30 minutes (minimum) a day and give 110%, I can kind of get on board with it. Problem: her father is giving me shit about it. My "I don't feel involved" (Because you moved almost an hour away with your trophy wife to your $600K house, ya ok) is being obstinate about it. I can't figure out why, exactly. Of course neither of us wants her to give up something musical but she is in chorus at school and she likes to just play for the heck of it. Oh yeah and it costs a ton - went up $50/month over last year. It's not like a team sport where others are depending on her. And I told her she could not take lessons for anything else right now. So NGFX and I are in an email pissing contest and I suppose I have to break down and call him today because he has not called here and he will be all sensitive and shit (fucking spare me, you pussy, you left) and deal with it. So now it's weighing on my daughter and it's weighing on me. He says "why do you get to make all the decision" - UM - because I am the custodial parent, I am her mother and I take her feelings into consideration.

The Kid keeps asking when she can make her own decisions and I think this could be one of them. Might she regret it later and blame me - of course, I fully expect it and I can say, "well, when you were 9 and wanted to make your own decisions, this was one of them."

Honestly I wish her father would just drop off the face or move to Fiji or some such.

No comments: